Rhubarb is one of the most beautiful plants to harvest on the farm. I remember being proud of being old enough to cut some myself for that day’s market. —Tessa, granddaughter of Russell and Maxine Carter
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 c. butter
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 c. fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together flour, soda, and salt.
- Add sugar, butter, sour cream, egg, and vanilla.
- Beat until well blended.
- Fold in rhubarb. Pour in 9 x 13 buttered pan.
- Combine topping and sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan before serving.
*Feel free to add some oats to the topping! Many Carters aver that rhubarb, apple, and peach crisp, cake, and pie always do better with a generous granola topping.